News Poland - New Zealand Embassy Consular information
Poland has maintained diplomatic and consular relations with New Zealand since the 1930s. Until 1945, the Consulate General of the Republic of Poland was located in Wellington and headed by Consul General, Prof. Kazimierz Wodzicki, who was appointed to this position by the London government-in-exile.
After World War II, on 1 March 1973, official diplomatic relations between the two countries were re-established.
Until the end of the 90s, the Embassy in Wellington, being subject to the Ministry of Economy (the Economic and Commercial Office of the Embassy), was headed by a charge d'affaires. Since 2004, the Polish Embassy in Wellington has been maintained at the ambassadorial level. Before this time the ambassador was accredited from Canberra.
The New Zealand Embassy in Warsaw opened in 2005. Until then, the ambassador was accredited from Berlin.
In New Zealand there are two consulates headed by honorary consuls: in Auckland (since 1999) and Christchurch (since 2011).
From 1 May 2004, Poland does not require visas from citizens of New Zealand for tourist stays of less than 90 days. As from 1 April 2005, New Zealand does not require visas for Polish citizens under the same conditions.
Poland and New Zealand have maintained friendly relations for many years. Both countries share common values of democracy, respect for human rights and good governance. Poland and New Zealand cooperate in international forums such as UN, OECD, ASEM, WTO, and ISAF / NATO.
Contacts are maintained at the highest as well as working level. Political consultations are carried out at the level of deputy foreign ministers of the two countries. On the occasion of international meetings, bilateral talks have been held between the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Defence.
Both countries cooperate on the parliamentary level.